Monday, June 8, 2009

Carbs



When I was younger (16 or 17) I went on a diet where you could only eat 60 carbs a day. I can not remember if it worked or not. I just remember what a pain it was to figure out the carbs.

So... I can eat carbs on the healthy eating plan. About 60 per meal. Since I am a vegetarian I can eat beans, lentils, egg whites, soybeans, low fat dairy. I am adding to that baked potato with skins, whole grain brain (with about 14 - 16 grams of fiber in it). I love my carbs so if I am setting up a life long pattern of eating healthy then I have to add my potatoes and bread. I can salsa, low fat cottage cheese or Greek yogurt to top my potato with. Tis all about eating healthy.

2 comments:

Monica said...

You gave a good tip of what you add to a potato. I love baked potatoes, of course with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, etc. I'm going to try salsa and cottage cheese...it sounds really good. Thanks for sharing the idea and like you, I love carbs too! A LOT!

Francine Morrow Keehnel said...

Graceful aging it seems, decreases one's tolerance for carb overloads, so that is added incentive to keep things balanced. I totally agree that potatoes and good, heart-healthy bread are dietary musts. I look for breads with the lowest calorie to highest fiber ratio for a win-win scenario. Baked potatoes topped with yogurt or cottage cheese & garnished with dried dill (or other herb of choice) taste yummy. Also, for a nice hearty flavored crunch, try imitation soy-protein bacon bits. /fmk